Sunday, December 04, 2005

What a week!!!

My last post was just before the conference started and all the nightmares were threatening to come true. Its been a crazy crazy few days. At the end it was well worth it! It was loads of fun. I had been a tough pain-in-the-ass for most people to get all the work done and at the end it was all forgiven; there was a party couple of nights before where we really let our hair down. Over the course of the last couple of months I have figured out who stands where in the professional space at work. The simple thing I have noticed is that its easy to gain respect of people with hard work and I have given it back to people who are lightyears away in seniority. Just having put in years don't count for anything if you are not willing to bend your back when it matters. As they say, yesterday is history; what you do today is most important!

Another thing I figured out is that while techies are awesome in conceptualising and coming out with great ideas, a mba education gives you that much a better perspective. The reason I'm saying is that in this conference, people were asked to present papers; some of which were shortlisted for potential products. A group of 4 global CTOs formed the panel. Most of papers fell flat as basically the participants were dreaming in their technology, not backed up by thorough number-crunching and market research. Even segmentation and targetting were way off. Simple things like NPV and profitability/break-even were not calculated. At the end anyone who wants to write you a cheque needs to see the money. Just an idea is not worth it. I have thought of millions myself, in the shower!

Anyways, that being said the month is December, the time to chill out. 14th night I leave for London. Stay there till 20th, head off to Birmigham the same day and catch my Toronto flight on 21st to go home. I get back only on the 4th/5th of Jan. So long holiday!!! Yipppieeee!!! The only thing I'm scared is that my balls might freeze off in Toronto with -10 degrees the temperature there right now! But it should be fun with my first white christmas. Couple of my friends are driving down there (they should get their visas in time) from US. So it should be a blast!

And yes, my new black 60gb iPod has arrived at my friend's at US. Can't wait to get my hands on it in a few weeks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Prerona said...

london?come to edinburgh as well!

December 04, 2005 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home