Friday, January 27, 2006

Crash: The movie and the soundtrack


I had heard about Crash last year but as usual the good movies do not come to the big screen. Its the usual commercial crap that everybody laps up. Anyways, while I was in Toronto, my bro had a dvd-rip of the movie and I had a watch. Brilliant. The Oscar nominations open on Jan 31st and I really think this movie should notch up a few. Golden Globes was a washout with Brokeback Mountain taking away most of the awards. Honestly, how can one like that better than Crash. Matt Dillon was nominated for best supporting actor and Paul Haggis (director) was nominated for original screenplay. Atleast it should have won the screenplay award.

The movie is about a potpourri of strangers thrown in L.A. and how everyone directly or indirectly is interwoven into eachother's lives. As the movie's tag line sums it up "Moving at the speed of life, we are bound to collide with each other." Its a movie about life, race-hatred, frustration at the system, self-esteem. The only one that would beat this one would be American History X. Edward Norton was brilliant as usual in that.

Go rent a DVD and watch it today and you'll thank me (that is unless you have already seen it!). And check out the soundtrack too. I love couple of songs from there. Stereophonics sing 'Maybe Tomorrow' - these guys are frustratingly brilliant and mediocre in one album. The other one is Bird York's 'In the Deep'. If you see the movie, then 'Maybe Tomorrow' is on during the end credits. Go and see this over the weekend.

Gives me an idea. From now on, I'll write about couple of movies to rent over the weekend. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home