Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

I was reading how its created a major controversy in India and how it might not make it to the screens. Well let me put it this way, even if it did, not many people would be around to watch it (But I hear the opening weekend's been good so far which is not surprising). I am a sucker for reviews but even when I knew this one hadn't got the best, I decided to make an exception because its a Ron Howard movie and there's Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou in it.

Most reviews have compared the book and then the movie. My take on this was related but slightly different. I had read this one first and then Demons and Angels. And while I remembered the outline of this plot I remember more of the fantastic (bollywood kinda) plot of the latter. So when I went to the movies this Friday, I was expecting to told the tale again where I would start remembering the whole plot.

Here's what I think, everyone keeps blasting the plots but take a snap poll and you will find most of these people had read one if not two of Brown's books and read them cover to cover. Why did they read it? Because I believe Brown's were the first of the religious thrillers and controversial ones at that to come out recently. So pot-shots are fine. Just don't be hypocritical. A movie is a movie is a movie. You like it or hate it. Its quite the latter for me this time around. Why? Because the story telling of Brown was much better which made you turn those pages and you painted a different picture of Robert Langdon. And this is exactly where the movie fails. Its not gripping enough (I even managed to doze off for a few seconds cpl of times) and Tom Hanks with his oh-not-so-cool hair ruins it. It needed a Harrison Ford-Indy Jones kinda person to pull it off.

But my friend who surprisingly hasn't read the book, was quite intrigued. This was exactly what happened to a few of us when we had read the book. You wanted to find out more - is this fact or fiction? Which parts? So it helps to build intrigue for people who haven't read the book. But for most like me, who have, it came as a cropper. I would label this a dvd-movie. Not one to go to the cinemas for. The one most affected is Sony Pictures which hasn't had a hit for quite sometime and was banking on this one!

You might wanna go for one of these releasing over the next few weeks:
1. X-Men 3 - I would be watching this on an Imax
2. The breakup - Vince Vaughn usually gets me in splits
3. Superman returns - promos look real good so far.

Other than these, no major ones till end June.

2 Comments:

Blogger Prerona said...

thanks! was looking for a reliable review on that. how was the girl, though? i liked her in first place i saw her but not so much in v long engagement.

lookind fwd to superman returns. wanna see batman begins badly

May 26, 2006 1:33 AM  
Blogger maverick said...

@prero: dunno how reliable is mine ;) but there are people who have liked it and boxe office is doin well with this movie...but this isn't one of my faves for sure. Off to see XMen3 tonite...will post abt that soon.

May 26, 2006 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home