Sunday, May 21, 2006

Life as you like (or maybe dislike) it!

I haven't got down to any proper blogging since I got here in Co springs. Work's been very hectic and when I get off, don't have too much energy to blog other than write a cpl of sentences. So here's an attempt to captue the last week and see life here through my eyes.

This city as I might have said earlier is small and pretty. Around 450,000 population. Most of the people here are or have been attached to the US Air Force which has a base here. And so are the people at work. Atleast 95% of them are connected to the Air Force, some having served in it for as long as 16 years. And quite a few have served abroad which makes them more culturally tolerant in these parts. Quite friendly rather.

Taxi drivers have been nice. Well most except a 70 year old woman (is that legal?) who got irritated when she didn't know the way and we told her directions. But others who are new or not sure of the way will turn the meter off if they or you think are lost. I haven't seen this anywhere. They'll always keep the meter running even if they do go in circles. So that was a pleasant surprise. A korean lady was telling me how she got here more than 15 years back because South Korea was getting over-populated and people were living 'on top of eachother'. So when I told her what the population was in Bangalore, she just grinned and suggested I relocate too. That was funny.

Another thing that I had noticed too. Americans usually don't like surprises. In things in daily life for sure. So the motels/hotels would look the same. The breakfast is similar. Cereal, bread, eggs, bacon, waffles. If they ever tried an Indian breakfast (considering we have different things to eat in the north, east, west and south) they could have one kind every day for a month. At lunch too, I'm already bored with office food - burgers, sandwiches - spread's the same everyday. I think I'll make my own sandwiches and get them to work. Atleast I'll have a choice. And yes, I can sympathise with everyone who is a veggie in this country because I am one, couple of days in a week. Its basically wraps - stuffed with things I don't want to find out (i just want it to go down my throat) -and thank God for dressing. Most of them are bland, so you would rather lean the Mexican way. Better choices. The cook (at the office cafeteria) actually thinks what to make for lunch for my colleagues as they are both veg. So there you go. His biggest challenge in life so far!

Another interesting thing I found out in restaurants and bars here. After you are done they ask you if you would like seperate bills or a combined one. I wish that happened in India when I had people on the table doing 'hisaab' of every rupee that he/she did or did not eat (which gets me quite irritated and also tempts me to hide under the table). I actually don't care for either but quite a few people do I guess.

But other than natural history, everything in this city/country (or whatever little I have seen so far) is like a printing block you use when you print clothes. Every block has the same things. Which is convenient in one sense but monotonous in the other. I'd rather tavel to a Johnson's market to get a fanoos roll if you know what I mean. I wouldn't want it everywhere.

Thats about it for now. Oh and yes, someone asked me if people in India ate meat (as in beef). When I said yes, he almost crashed his car! Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home