Saturday, May 13, 2006

Colorado Springs - Part 1

I’m was waiting in Chicago airport for my connecting flight to Colorado Springs when I wrote this. Left Bangalore at 1:30am Fri night for Frankfurt and then from Frankfurt at 10:20am local time for Chicago. All in all I’ve done 18.5 hours of flying time. Add 3 hours at Frankfurt and another 3 here in Chicago, plus the 2.5 hours of flying time to Colorado Springs and I’ve been on the road non-stop for more than 24 hours. Surprisingly I’m quite fresh. After traveling Air India business and first class, flying economy for long-haul was a pain, especially due to lack of leg space. I think for further company traveling I’ll switch to Singapore Airlines (everyone says its better for economy travel). This was my first experience with Lufthansa and I’m not quite thrilled. Compared to them Air India is far better, even in economy. On route from Bangalore, I never got offered a drink. I thought I’d have a couple so I could sleep well. Wasn’t the case. I couldn’t help but notice a clear difference in behavior towards those who spoke German and those who didn’t. Or was it the colour? Couldn’t tell for sure. Onwards from Frankfurt, when I asked for a German beer (which they were promoting), after finishing the first drink, I was politely told that I was to wait till lunch was served. Like the headmistress rebuking the errant schoolboy. And to think this whole trip isn't free and I get this kind of shoddy service. I have had discussions, arguments with people regards to Air India service. Trust me, I think its way better. It’s a different story that most of us love to think that cribbing about our national carrier is our birth right and the same become mice when it comes to non-national carriers. I’m not saying that Air India is the best, but I think at the same time, it needs to be cut some slack.

In other news, I had to message Arne from Frankfurt that I wouldn’t be able to come back on 10th June for the England-Paraguay match! I left a World Cup ticket! Still cannot believe it. Alas, money needs to be earned so that future world cups tickets happen!

Update:

Reached my hotel. The cab driver was quite interesting. He gave me a quick history and geography of the place. He also reminded me that I shouldn't fall for the 'wrong' American woman! When I asked how does he define 'wrong', he said the ones that are after your money etc. Then he added that the men have turned them into 'wrong' women...young men lie to the young women to woo them and then leave them. Now the same women have gotten wiser and are paying it back. He nodded when I asked if it was a case of what goes around comes around. Found the whole discussion quite interesting and funny. People seem to be very friendly and so it seemed. I need to take some pics. The city (450,000 in population - so he said) is 40 miles X 40 miles. Very pretty with mountains around and the clouds hovering over them. He asked me to watch out for the sunshine when it breaks through the mountains. Would be waiting for that for sure!

1 Comments:

Blogger Grandebelf said...

Like their ad says, all for that one special moment! Enjoy maadi!

May 14, 2006 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home