Sunday, March 26, 2006

What I really need...

...is 1 password. Just one. 10 years back a password (on the net) was just a simple one. just choose a minimum of six letters and you are done and most of the sites followed similar password nomenclature. then came internet banking. Hacking. 128-bit encryption. Password's are now a nightmare.

On a given day I struggle with:

1. My windows login - A password that changes every 3 months and I can't use a password (which is close to a used password) thats been used in the last 18 months. Needs a capital letter, letters and numbers and a special symbol.

2. My emails - Have 4 a/c where the nomenclature is again different. Some want a capital letter, some want numbers, some want symbols.

3. My WEP Wi-Fi key - Needs 10 numbers

4. My activekey (for company wireless access) password - 4 numbers

4. My banks - Use 3 of mine and also monitor my dad's indian one. Some require 4 numbers and some require alphanumeric with symbol/s.

5. My auth-code for dial-ins - 6 digit number thats given to me with numbers preceding and succeeding that.

6. Newletters/News/Blogs - have their own password nomenclature - sometimes the login's a unique id and sometimes its an email (which one?)

Most of them have different logins and passwords. Some have numbers handed down which cant be changed. I wish I had a magic master-passkey which could give me access to all of these. One improvement is choosing a master passcode for firefox. Helps with all browser logins except banks. Maybe with a single masterkey its easy to access all info if its hacked. So biometrics could be the way to go in the future. Single access to things in life. Sigh!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more! Am tempted from time to time to note them all down someplace, but what if someone gets hold of that list!

March 27, 2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger maverick said...

@shwetha: have a few noted down...and then encrypted the same with another password!!! i know i know.

March 27, 2006 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home