Friday, March 24, 2006

going home

It was quite weird. I had been feeling a lil' homesick over the last couple of weeks and yesterday someone suggested I might as well go home for a week. Most of my current work can be done over the internet or con-calls. Only the time difference would be an issue. So while I was interested, I wasn't sure.

Then I called home last night. Dad sounded very depressed. Mom's been having a lot of trouble with her left ankle. Yesterday it was the right that was swollen and she just couldn't walk. Crippled for the time being. WIthout medications. Why? Canadian healthcare. While healthcare is free for everyone, its a long waiting line. You can't pay and get ahead. So while the tests were over more than 2 weeks ago (to get the appointment for the tests took 2-3 weeks each), the scheduled appointment with the doc was a week away. Amazing. Thankfully, one of the doc's become a family friend and we were able to reach him. Again, the prescribed drugs are very strong with side-effects. But the thing is unless she takes even a little, she wouldn't be able to walk to go the doc's chamber. Same problem happens with the NHS in the UK. It took ages for my aunt in B'ham to get her knee replacement, even though she was in considerable pain.

Am waiting for the tickets. There's a rush to go back to Toronto right now. Since I have to use the staff ticket, it might take a week before I can leave. Will get the tickets by Tuesday hopefully and then I'm ready to go on the next viable flight.

This isn't why I wanted to go home.

4 Comments:

Blogger dhoomketu said...

Chole jaacho??

March 25, 2006 5:23 AM  
Blogger Grandebelf said...

Yup. Thats the only hope for India's medical tourism initiative. I think one day you might just see a flight of patients landing in to India. Hope your mom gets well soon.

March 25, 2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger maverick said...

@dhoomketu: yep, on the next possible flight as i said...1-2 weeks.

@grandebelf: thanks. india already is seeing a lot of people who come here just for treatment. plus there are the ayurvedic ashrams too. in all medical tourism is getting quite popular.

March 25, 2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger Dibesh Saha said...

Meeoww....ekhane ashle kamre debo kintu...:D

March 26, 2006 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home