Sunday, March 19, 2006

Customer Service Part 2

I had written this sometime back when I was trying to choose a broadband connection. And Airtel gave me a raw deal (took the initial money, only to tell me later they can't provide it). More on the previous post. So anyways, I didn't have much of an option and went with BSNL. Looked quite good at Rs. 500 for 1gb download. But then my bills started coming to almost Rs. 2-3K per month; steep, considering I do not download movies or music at home. Then I realised that BSNL charges for incoming and outgoing data and I was getting screwed for talking to my folks in Toronto and some of my other friends worldwide. So while skype was free, my service provider was making lots of money on it. So I changed to the Rs. 1000 plan for 2gb download (plus outgoing bytes) and my bill came down to Rs. 1.5k a month. But that means I can't cam and I can't talk too long on skype. That kinda sucked. So I then found out both VSNL and Airtel have 256 kbps unlimited (no cap on download or upload) plans at Rs. 999 and Rs. 1600 respectively. So I logged in a request on 10th March and I got those quick replies - it'll be up in 3 days etc etc. But today, 9 days down the line, I have called them 3 times each and neither has called me back yet. I was wondering if customer service is so poor even before I use their product, how would it be after I start using it.

Kau, Dibyo, Mama and I went to our fave IIMB prof's house for dinner the other day and he was telling us stories about service orientation of companies (including the ones we work in). Most of them (the companies) like to use buzz words like 'Customer Delight' without having the slightest clue about what that really means. Pissing off a customer before delighting him surely doesn't come under that!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Prerona said...

one of my pet gripes too. but u know, its universal. worse here in uk. here they dont even understand what ur talking abt half the time and are arrogant and rude to boot. unless ur shuttled to a indian offshore unit - which is far better!

March 19, 2006 3:27 PM  
Blogger maverick said...

@prerona: I wonder why they do that? bad mood, ignorant, not trained? or just like that? and you are right - have faced similar situations in Canada.

March 19, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

who is this prof? is it rambo?

March 20, 2006 2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Airtel's speed is pretty good, from my limited experience so far. I got the 256kpbs unlimited a few days ago. Works well. They didn't turn up on the day they had to install, but i filed a complaint and shouted, then it went off like a dream after that. The guys who came home to install were quite nice and polite.

March 20, 2006 4:19 AM  
Blogger maverick said...

@kaps: it's kasturi.

@arun: i know i know. i need to start shouting. but i get tired doing that everytime. y is that everytime we do that it works? as if they r waiting for that cue...else they wont do it!!!

March 20, 2006 8:22 AM  
Blogger Grandebelf said...

wonder what sri sri ravikiran has to say about VSNL's service?:)

March 22, 2006 3:31 AM  
Blogger maverick said...

@grandebelf: have mailed the god. let us see.

March 23, 2006 3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home