Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Happy Diwali?

I had written a lengthy post last night and then my Firefox Beta 1.5 crashed just before I was going to publish it. Firefox's been crashing a lot lately...and it was making me quite happy till then!

Anyways, I shall get down to the post now. Diwali, if I'm not mistaken is the festival of lights. It signifies the victory of good over evil; of Lord Rama coming back to a brightly lit Ayodhya (after his banishment and also the slaying of Ravana). Nowadays, you know Diwali must be in the air when the loudest cracker goes off less than 5 metres from your precious ears! I've never been a huge fan of loud crackers; i like the ones in the sky which lead to brightly coloured stars which come tumbling down to earth! As such this Diwali it was home to loneliness and lots of noise (which has been my loyal friend). Could not go home and could not go travelling either (due to the rains). And if that wasn't enough, thanks to the month of Ramzan the morning alarm has been taken care of by the sleepy Mullah/Maulvi (Muslim priest) who wakes me up without fail at 5am every day. I only catch Allah O Akbar and then everything is slurry (plus my Urdu hasn't been that great). So yes loneliness has noise for company. P sent a nice mail last night when I was exchanging mails. Set me thinking.

Office was out since last Friday. As such there was DVD shopping to be done and movies to be watched. The ones I caught on DVD are: After the Sunset (Ms. Hayek is absolutely hot and simmering in this one, which otherwise is a poor man's JamesBondmeetsThomasCrownmeetsHeist kinda story - nothing to write home about), Mississippi Burning (saw it again after a long time - one of the best movies in the racial genre; the other being American History X), Fantastic Four (you don't need to ask me what I was thinking, have asked myself the same - trash!), Bully (if you like Larry Clark then you know you have a strong stomach for this - the other ones of his that I have seen were Ken Park and Kids).
Finished my first season of Lost - an amazing RobinsonCrusoemeetsSurvivormeetsLaw&OrdermeetsCSI thingy - would be looking forward for the next season! Seinfeld Season 4 is also here and so would be my complete X-Files (68 dvds...eat your heart out!!). Picked up Nip Tuck (season 1) and Bad Education. So its quite a lot to watch actually.

And to complete my shopping for the week, it was Robbie Williams' new album 'Intensive Care' (he's toned down but this is a better album) and Around the World in 80 treasures by Dan Cruickshank (a book on which the BBC program is based on).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Diwali, maverick....X-files?HOW???!!! WHERE did you Get this???

November 08, 2005 6:16 AM  
Blogger maverick said...

@Hiren: Thanks for the wishes. Hope you had a good one too!

@Anonymous: Who is this? As far as the X-Files are concerned thats for me to know and you to find out. ;)

November 08, 2005 6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home