Monday, August 22, 2005

Customer Service...do companies really mean it???

I don't know about others but for me customer service is as essential as buying the product itself. And unfortunately its all a big joke to most of the companies. Most of the time I'm yelling at mobile service providers and banks; most of the agents at their end are quite in-adept at handling any queries or helping in solving the problem. Their usual rant is 'I'm sorry, I understand but I can't help you.' Go figure that one!!! On one hand we stand on roof tops and shout about us being the best service providers and all business should come to India and we have these cases where we Indians are harassed more than often. Its a question of do you wanna take it lying down or you wanna make some noise. Everytime I have adopted the latter, things do get done surely...is that something about our culture...am not quite sure!!!

One of the cases was with Airtel (one of the favourite companies to be bashed about as regards to their service). It had been a problem with their DSL connection which I got a raw deal in. First they sent the cheque back with the wrong name. So i went personally. They said they would send it to my office (left a business card so that name and address couldn't be misplaced). Then when I call back they say, 'Oh weren't you coming to pick it up?!' I got pissed and went there again only to be told that one of the signatories was out for the day...so i raised hell and told them point blank I wasn't leaving till I got my cheque back or I spoke to the Customer Services Head. In exactly half and hour the cheque appeared out of thin air. So i told the lady whether things don't happen unless the customer screams at them, to which she gave me her biggest smile! I was astounded at their attitude. Since then I have totally disassociated myself with anything that has to do with Airtel.

There would be atleast one person in our work area per week who would be screaming at them over the phone, then swearing to change to Hutch/Reliance but what about the change in number??? Thats the biggest worry. I think that its a myth. I have changed numbers when I was absolutely pissed off with Airtel. In a week's time everyone had my new number and it was business as usual. And touchwood, no problems with Hutch so far.

The next was the problem with my DVD writer. Though I had bought it only in May of this year, I was suprised that even after 12 days it wasn't fixed. So i was back to giving hell. I mailed the head of the country for the product division and the problem was solved in a couple of days! Makes me wonder if they take all their customers so lightly; that unless you create a noise they really do not have to care!!!

But on the other hand there have been exceptions to this rule. Contary to feedback, Dell has been at its best with its customer service. The service has been prompt and if there had been any mistake on their part they have either apologised or not charged for the same. Same goes for HSBC, which I feel has the best customer service in India. You do not have to guess which is the worst one...Citibank of course!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home