Wednesday, February 22, 2006

West Side Story: what's changed in all these years?

I was watching West Side Story last night. Its one of the classics and some argue its one of the best musicals. I won't get into that. What struck me is the base on which this story is woven. Its about two rival gangs - American and Puerto Rican back in the 60's. Its about America and immigrants, trying to fit in. For the ignorant, Josh - the bollywood movie was based on this. Not the ending though - don't think they could kill off Shah Rukh - could have been bad for the box office. Anyways, if you pay close attention to the lyrics and the story, I don't think there's much of a change in the socio-environment today is it? Maybe the players have changed, new ethnic groups have come in. But has race-discrimination really died down? I would say no but some may argue.

Here's a smaple of the lyrics to the song 'America' in this musical:
I like to be in America
Ok by me in America
Everything free in America
For a small fee in America

Buying on credit is so nice
One look at us and they charge twice
I have my own washing machine
What will you have, though, to keep clean?

Skyscrapers bloom in America
Cadillacs zoom in America
Industry boom in America
Twelve in a room in America

Lots of new housing with more space
Lots of doors slamming in our face
I'll get a terrace apartment
Better get rid of your accent

Life can be bright in America
If you can fight in America
Life is alright in America
If you are all white in America


I found the last stanza quite interesting. Singing the same song today too? Hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home