Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Does that song remind you of something? Part II

After Part I, Part II was inevitable.

1. The Beatles - Beatle greeting
Upasana had bought the Live at the BBC sessions. She got me hooked to the Beatles especially with John Lennon saying ‘…and I play the fool’ when asked what he plays in the band.

2. Bryan Adams - Summer of ‘69/Bon Jovi - It’s my life
Not because everyone loved it when they were kids (and some still do). This reminds me of IIMB parties where I used to slide the tracker down as Bryan went ‘Back in the…’ and let the junta sing loudly ‘…summer of ‘69’. Similarly I pulled down the volume as Bon Jovi crooned ‘I just wanna live while I’m alive…’ and the crowd filled in with ‘…Its my life’! Just awesome.

3. Wham - Wham Rap
Rahul, our man from the UK, was a huge Wham fan and a few of us being good friends were subjected to torture everyday on the school bus. But thanks to him, I started to listen more of George Michael and I think his ‘Listen without prejudice’ is one of the best written albums.

4. Los del Rio – Macarena
Me and my initiation into AIESEC’s choreographed dances in the Mohankas’ house in Southern Avenue in Calcutta.

5. Kishore Kumar, Bhupinder, RD Burman, Sapan Chakravarty, Gulshan Bawra - Pyar hume kis modh pe
IIMB parties again. Time would be after 6am (we started at 12am usually). Some junta had their share of eggs before coming back to the party, some who joined after waking up. Everyone just signing themselves hoarse!

6. Kishore Kumar - Jahan teri yeh nazar hai
Reminds me of Nach and the funny hand thingy he does when he dances to this one.

7. Survivor - Eye of the tiger
Two reasons. First being I saw this movie back in ’84 I think – reminds me my uncle’s wedding and we hiring the VHS to see it. Loved the theme. Second was when Aloke and Handa, both drunk, nostalgic and partying in Mumbai call me up saying the song’s playing (in the background) and it reminded them of me spinning it during the campus parties.

8. Robert Tepper - No easy way out
10th boards. 5am. Dad’s made me the tea. I sit at my desk in my room and turn this on as I do my maths.

9. The Righteous Brothers - You’ve lost that lovin’ feeling
While this is not in the original soundtrack, I got hooked to the song when the actors sang it in Top Gun (at the bar). And no one can sing ‘Unchained melody’ like them. Period.

10. Jeff Buckley – Hallelujah
This guy was awesome, shame he died young. He almost makes you cry with this one. Kinda fitted with the season finale of season 1 of ‘The OC’. Check out the soundtracks. I would hugely recommend Mix 1, 2 and 4.

11. Henry Mancini - Moon River
Reminds me of two things. Watching 'Breakfast at Tiffany’s' on campus (Roman holiday is my fave Hepburn movie though) and then there’s the episode in Sex and the City where Big leaves town and leaves Carrie the LP of this song in his empty apartment. Nice.

12. Underground Project - Saturday Night/Deepest Blue - Give it away
Saturday night in Singapore. My apartment. These play one after the other while I get dressed and head out. We always ended up in Equinox somehow. Addy’s still waiting for his lifetime membership card there!

13. Queen - We will rock you (Live at Wembley)
My dad’s friend had bought this album for someone but had brought it home. He asked if I listened to Queen. When I said I didn’t he played the cassette and at the end I had made him leave it behind with me. Best Queen show ever!

14. Hootie and the Blowfish – Only wanna be with you/Peter Andre – Gimme a little sign
Schooldays. Summer holidays. Totally lukkhha!!! Hanging around at Soham’s house as he hollered for me every time these two came on TV!

15. 4 Non Blondes - What’s goin’ on?
Tuba mailed (snail mail) saying that she won the Pilani Western Solo singing this song. So I went and bought the album (no P2P then) only to find out that the other tracks weren’t that good at all. Had to convince the guy to take it back! Was quite a challenge.

16. Gala – Freed from desire
Long train journeys (Calcutta to anywhere is long) during college days. Normal 3 tier sleepers (poor students!)…soot in the hair, bandanas dirty too. Sitting on the steps in the galley (Progga actually lost her bag trying to do something…poor her)…Uday coming and hooking up his two pin jack so that he could plug in his earphones also to my walkman and listen to the songs. Having a blast with AIESEC DU and D(IIT), doing our choreographed steps to this one and singing in hindi ‘ Hawas se Azaadi’. FUN!!!

17. Spice Girls – Stop
Absolutely hate the song. But it always reminds me of Fabio, the funny Italian guy aboard the Silja Line (from Helsinki to Stockholm during the AIESEC 50th anniversary celebrations) trying to teach us the steps to this one. Steps were awful but we all had a blast in that plenary session.

18. U2 – Still haven’t found what I’m looking for/ Stuck in a moment
Lets just say these were the theme songs in life for a while.

19. Chris Rea – Road to Hell (Part II)
Pepsi had brought out these promotional cassettes (back in late 80’s/early 90’s) when you exchanged some crowns or something to get one of these. Thanks to them I discovered this song which is just one of the best I’ve heard till now.

20. Joe Cocker – With a little help from my friends
School. Wonder years on TV. Those were the days! When will they get the DVD out???

End of Part II

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home