Monday, June 13, 2005

Does that song remind you of something? Part I

This one I've been planning to write for sometime now...to me some of the songs define a moment I've shared with someone or just myself. Its just too uncanny...whenever I hear these songs...the mind goes back to that video it clicked way back in the past. Here's a few...not in any chronological order...

1. Billy Joel - We didn't start the fire
The first album i bought with my pocket money back in school...and made it a point to learn the lyrics by heart...and i still haven't forgotten them by the way! One of the reasons i remember it is because a schoolmate said 'Hey they say Amitabh Bachchan in it'...lol...actually it was 'Russians in Afghanistan'...dunno how he got Bachchan there but was a good laugh anyways! Loved that album - Stormfront.

2. Des'ree - Life
Sitting in the Stockholm hotel in '98(for the 50th AIESEC anniversary celebrations) and Yog says 'dude have you listened to this one...i love it man'...i listened and have kept on listening to it...'Life indeed can be fun, if you really want to' as she says!

3. Genesis - Home by the sea (Second part)/Mr.Mister - Broken Wings
Stole this mix tape from my uncle...i think it was my best mix tape groing up in school...thanks to him these songs are etched in memory forever...all my faves still have these!

4. U2 - Still haven't found what I'm looking for
In Delhi for my summer vacations in school..i picked up Joshua Tree from my uncle and it became my all time fave band and song...the song's been my life really...still treading on new things and figuring them out as well as figuring out myself.

5. Ace of Base - Sign/East 17 - Its alright
Summer vacations in Delhi after 10th with Tuba and Baptu and dunno why we loved it...sometimes you just do...we would break into these songs suddenly and gheeso-ed them real bad! Those were the days!

6. Take That - Back for good
My first break up and I got this song from my ex...it hurt...and was messy...but now we are good friends (of which I'm glad)...here's to you...you know who you are!

7. Eagles - Love will keep us alive
Lol...used to sing this song on the phone to eachother at 2-3am at night...whispering...lol...gawd!!!

8. Status Quo - In the army now
The AIESEC tradition of playing it when the votes are announced for President...Katyal and me were there side by side...he was the frontrunner...he didn't win..neither did I...Nihar did...the song still gives me the goosebumps.

9. Chantal Kreviazuk - Leaving on a jet plane
Two reasons i remember this song...first because this was the only song that made me cry...correction...bawl...during the closing plenary of my last AIESEC conference...where i realised a part of my life was over...the moments gone and i wouldn't meet some of the amazin people i've ever met ever again! Second was because a drunk Yog put this in a loop at the last party in Jaipur and I finally put him to bed...it was still playing!

10. Roxette - How do you do?
Soham in school made me sing this song at a teacher's day...lol...i know i suck...just needed the stamp of everyone around...hahaha...but roxette i loved growing up in school...their 'Tourism' album is what i always listened to.

11. Bon Jovi - Keep the faith
It was back when cable first came to India and we didn't have a connection but i wanted MTV badly so i used to drop some electrical cables from the TV to the cables runnin outside the house...and I got a faint reception...Bon Jovi was playing and it was the top 100 countdown of the year.

12. Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet/Walk of life
Both are because of Bakshi...the first one because she always begged me to play (before the parties...yelling at me from her hostel room) and how could i ever refuse her? The second was to the best jive ever...Addie and Bakshi...Handa dropped in once to spoil the party...only time I've seen Handa jive!

13. Disco Dancer - Jimmy Jimmy aa ja aa ja
Lol...ok am not nuts...this is here just because Handa came over to the DJ counter and asked for this song one night...dunno why...said he liked it...i din play it ofcourse...but had a change of heart some parties later when i decided to play the fool and played it alongwith Kishore Kumar's CAT - Cat maane billi...lol..go figure!!

14. Guns and Roses - Sweet child of mine
Have come across few people who didn't like this song during college...remember all the L square parties with Aloke/Rakshit/Kan/Handa in it!

15. U2 - With or with you
Madhu's car when she was getting used to it...i think we sang that song a lot during the drives....how can u not love it?

16. Whigfield - Sexy Eyes
One of the first AIESEC dances associated to this song and i went to teaching the steps to juniors...even to a few IIMBians...remember Helsinki City Centre cultural party..all 300-400 of us dressed in our ethnic clothes doing the steps to Whigfield...what a sight...bummer that I don't have the pic with me...even the locals joined in it...and it was raining...just awesome!!!

17. Go West - King of wishful thinking
Back in school, a girl (whom i fancied) gave me the Pretty Woman soundtrack and told me to listen to the third track...so Go West sang for me and while I didn't understand what she was trying to tell me i loved this song...one for the post breakups!

18. Doors - Roadhouse Blues
Aloke/Kan/Handa/Aby and me at the Purple Haze in Mumbai when i stopped by for the evening...the DJ made our day..played all our fave LSquare songs...and i almost missed my flight...we really din wanna go from that pub! One of my fave parties with friends!

19. Fool's Garden - Lemon Tree
Bought my first double CD in CityDisc in Bern...it was an assorted album called Platin. I was supposed to go to Feisch but because of some mis-communication Roman had to go leaving his beautiful Bern apartment all for myself for the evening...that was my first trip abroad alone...din know what to make of it...played the CD...loved the tracks...then Thomas & Tom from the LC dropped in and we all went out. That conference had Lemon tree (the remixed version) playing all the time...got hooked to it!

20. Bryan Adams - Inside Out
This song just reminds me of Sonali during recruitment and how i wrote her the lyrics...this one's for you kiddo! One of the best songs ever written.

End of Part I

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

welll .. nice attempt .. i too have very strong associations attached to a lotta songs .. (some song choices also being common to urs). specific songs remind me of specific moment .... u obviously know wht i mean ...

i have to tell u .. the song "inside out" ..definately features in my list of memorable songs .. esp coz of the way u made me listen to it .. i dont recall listening to the ltrics of a song so intently as i did on tht afternoon .. in vashist's appartment..... i remeber being taken aback by the whole act .. shld i say revelation ... i dont think i had a clue b4 tht moment .. ok ok .. hav i said too much myself .. forgive me

the lyrics are so true and so real... i have passed this song on to so many frends .. and recomended it to them ..as in.. for them to give it to someone who is speciall and important ..

thanks again .. dips .. i know u will allways introduce me to music .. and i love the fact tht u r constantly sharin ur music wid meee ...

TC

June 13, 2005 4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i found a mention in your posting...musta been something i did...but u forget i sang along to that song...much to our own embarassment....some things you just do without realising anything...good to share some common memories

June 13, 2005 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home