Sunday, April 23, 2006

Warner Home Video DVDs at $1.50

When I got my friend to get me the complete 9 seasons of The X-Files from Shanghai, all it cost me was Rs. 50 a dvd (just over $1). Now that's really cheap for dvds which are of excellent quality. And that's because of the huge Chinese piracy market where DVDs sold are of 4 kinds I hear:
1. Original DVDs
2. DVDs sold in original packs from shops at Rs.100 (~ $2.20)
3. DVDs sold in loose packs from shops at Rs. 50 (~ $1.00)
4. DVDs sold on pavements at between Rs. 20-40 (~$0.50 - $0.90) - these you can't trust

So in a move to dent this piracy market Warner Home Video has launched a trial sale of The Aviator DVD at $1.50 in China only. This is in comparison to $20-30 that a US or European customer shells out for the same movie. The disc is sold in a cardboard folder instead of the plastic box - I don't think that is a major differentiator as a DVD plastic box I can buy for Rs. 10 (4-5 cents). If this works, the whole world would be crying out for more of these.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home