Saturday, April 01, 2006

Few miles high

This post started when I was in the air - above Iran actually.

On wed i found out I had an outside chance to make the flights on a jump seat. So went to the city office and picked up my ticket, picked up dvds and then to fabindia as a part of the last minute shopping spree. Bangalore to Mumbai was cool, best online snack (trio of breads - one with a cheese filling, one with veg filling and the other was a sweet one - better than the open cold sandwiches at 2am). Got out of arrival, took the lift and went back to departure and checked in for the Delhi flight, did my security and boarded - as a part of a continuous motion. Didn't sit for a sec till I reached the seat in the Dash-400. Having been used to business class seats, these economy seats on this older plane was quite un-comfy...the 777s are much better, good upholstery and leg space. Anyways I adjusted between 2 aunties, jostling for a lil' arm rest space. Gave up. Spent the day in Delhi and was back at the airport the following morning - Friday. Met the Captain and she was sweet and quite helpful and got me the business class seat all the way to Toronto.

On the way through customs I saw a young girl crying, not older than 8-9 years. Was along with her brother (same age). Their dad was crying too, he was taking some other flight. Guess it was their first flight alone. Amritsar was ok, except that I felt that something wasn't right when the lights keep going out and coming back again. But we took off after a short delay and I didnt give it much of a thought. Started reading 'Tipping Point' and didnt get much sleep on the flight. Tried a Glenfiddich and Black Label on the rocks. Got an hour's shut-eye. Then I saw that same lil' girl being taken to first class, crying again. Found that she wasn't well. Migraine. Got restless after sometime. So took out my laptop and reviewed a couple of green-belt projects that had come to me for assessment. Wrote my notes, saved them in my drafts folder and shut it off.

B'ham was starting to rain as we landed. Switched my sim cards as I headed to the business lounge. Dropped my stuff there and headed to WHSmith as part of my UK ritual - picking up the new copy of Empire. Spoke to Mashimoni. She got worried when I told her mom wasn't keeping well. Spoke to Anusha, Mama. Both were after my back to go through London on my way back. Maybe. But not quite sure yet. When we were called back to the departure lounge we boarded the flight only to wait for the next 5 years due to some electrical and technical problems. My dad told me later it was a problem with a part of the engine cover (which needs to stay warm to melt any ice that an aeroplane encounters on the way - else the ice would hit the engine just like a bird and destroy it). Was imperative that they repaired it. Finally we were up and away. Not much happened except that I finished 'Tipping Point' and was left wondering if I was a 'Connector' - someone who gets people together. Don't quite know. Maybe again.

Landed at 12am. Waited at dad's office as he sent the same flight back to B'ham. Helped him with some office stuff. Chatted with Sangeet (works with my dad and is a good friend of mine, my age). By the time we wrapped up it was close to 4am. Got home in the new car. Nice.

Still jet-lagged. Slept from 3pm-8pm. Wide awake now. So here's the blog. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...how long are u ard for? Talk to u tonight.

April 03, 2006 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home